The day the first Oscars were awarded – level 1
Louis Mayer is a film producer in the 1920s. He wants to give his actors some awards for good work. He gives them a small gold statue. The statue is 4 kilos heavy. The name of this statue is the Oscar.
People know the first winners on February 18, 1929. Three months later, 270 people go to a party where the winners get the awards. The entry fee for the party is $5.
Charlie Chaplin wins one Oscar in 1929.
Today, the Oscars are a big show. The winners are famous people in film business.
There are already more than 3,000 Oscar awards in the world.
Difficult words: producer (a person who helps make a movie), award (a prize for something special), statue (a body from stone, wood, or metal), entry fee (money which you pay for a special event), famous (when a lot of people know a person).
Who are the first winners of the Oscars?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.