The day the first journey around the world ended – level 3
Ferdinand Magellan was a Portuguese explorer. He led a Spanish expedition to find a western route to East Asia in 1519. He didn’t sail around Africa and across the Indian Ocean. Instead, Magellan chose to sail west around South America. The fleet consisted of five ships with 270 men.
The goal was to import spices from East Asia. The expedition was long and hard. Many men died, including Ferdinand Magellan. After reaching East Asia, the expedition sailed across the Indian Ocean and around Africa.
Only one ship full of spices with 18 men on board returned to Spain. It was on September 6, 1522. It was the first journey around the world and proof that the Earth is round.
What obstacles did the expedition face on their journey around the world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.