The day the first European saw the Pacific Ocean – level 1
Vasco Nunez de Balboa is from Spain. He travels to Central America. In 1513, he is a leader of an expedition. The expedition goes across Panama to the Pacific Ocean.
The expedition starts its journey on September 1. The expedition has 190 men from Spain, guides from Panama, and a group of dogs.
The expedition must go through a jungle. The men from the expedition must fight different groups of natives. At the end of their journey, they must go across mountains.
On September 25, 1513, Balboa goes to the top of one mountain. He sees something special. He sees the Pacific Ocean. He is the first European who sees the Pacific Ocean.
Difficult words: expedition (a long trip, a group of people on a long trip), leader (a boss), guide (a person who shows a way), native (a person who is born in a place), top (the highest part of a mountain).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.