The day the first animal orbited the Earth – level 2
In October 1957, the Soviet Union sent the first satellite into orbit named Sputnik 1. After its success, Moscow wanted to repeat the flight with an animal on board as soon as possible.
For the mission, which was a one-way flight, a female dog was chosen. Her name was Laika and she was found in the streets of Moscow. She had a phlegmatic character, which was ideal for hard training and the following stay in space.
The day before the flight, one of the doctors took Laika home to play with his children.
Then November 3, 1957 came. Laika was taken into orbit on board Sputnik 2.
People think that Laika died after 7 hours of flight because there was a problem and there was a very high temperature inside of Sputnik 2.
This flight showed that it was possible for a living organism or being to survive in orbit for several hours. In the following years, preparations began to send the first person into orbit. In 1961, Yuri Gagarin was the first person who managed to do it.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.