The day the Falklands War ended – level 2
On April 2, 1982, hundreds of Argentinean soldiers landed on the Falkland Islands which were home to only 2 thousand people. The islands belonged to Great Britain since 1833.
In London, 12,000 kilometers away, the news of the invasion was a shock. The government responded quickly, and on April 5, 93 ships with 15 thousand soldiers started their journey from England to the Falkland Islands. They had only one goal – to get the islands back under British control.
On May 1, a war started on the islands. The soldiers were fighting in the air, at sea, and on land. On June 14, the British got control of the capital of the islands. Argentina lost the war, and the British celebrated the victory.
The Falklands War lasted 74 days. 904 soldiers died in it. After the war, the situation was the same as before the war.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.