The day the enemies met at Christmas – level 1
In 1914, World War I starts in Europe. The enemies are the Germans on one side. The French and the British are on the other side.
It’s December 1914. Soldiers on both sides are fighting in cold weather. They shoot at each other from trenches.
Then December 24 comes. It’s the day when Germans celebrate Christmas. On that day, the British soldiers hear a melody which they know very well. The German soldiers are singing the song “Silent Night” in German. It is a song which the British soldiers also want to sing the next day to celebrate Christmas. The atmosphere starts to change.
The Germans put Christmas trees before their trenches. Soldiers on both sides leave their trenches. They start to walk very carefully to each other. Then they meet face to face.
The enemies are now looking at each other from a close distance. They see that people on the other side are like them. They have the same feelings. They feel the same pain. They miss their families. They start to show each other photos of their families. They also exchange food, tobacco, and alcohol.
In the next days, thousands of soldiers on both sides meet again and again. They also play some football matches.
The commanders don’t like this situation. They don’t like when soldiers from both sides are friends.
After some days, the fights start again. The war continues.
Difficult words: enemy (the opposition or who you fight in a war), each other (the first to the second and the second to the first), trench (a long hole in the ground which people use in wars), atmosphere (a feeling), exchange (to give and to get at the same time), both (two), commander (a leader of soldiers).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.