The day the Empire State Building opened – level 2
The construction of the Empire State Building began in 1930. It was built by 3,400 workers who were mostly poor immigrants from Europe. They worked in any weather condition and with simple tools. It was extremely dangerous work, but they made good money.
The building was constructed under great time pressure. They had to finish the work by May 1, 1931. The workers built 4 new floors every week and they finished the work in time.
The building is 381 meters high and has 102 floors. It has 6,500 windows and 73 elevators. Over 60,000 tons of steel were used for the construction. At the time, it was the tallest skyscraper in the world.
Today, the building is still a symbol of New York. Thousands of people visit it every day. There are also offices of many companies in the building and 20,000 people work there.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.