The day the Dalai Lama began an exile in India – level 3
In March 1959, the 14th Dalai Lama fled Tibet following a failed uprising against Chinese rule.
During the journey to India, the Dalai Lama disguised himself in a uniform of a Chinese soldier to avoid detection by Chinese troops.
He was accompanied by a small group of advisors, including his brother. The Dalai Lama traveled with only a few personal belongings, including some religious texts and a photograph of his teacher, the 13th Dalai Lama.
The group faced harsh weather conditions, including blizzards and high winds, and often traveled at night.
The Dalai Lama and his followers eventually reached India on March 31, where they were granted asylum by the Indian government.
Difficult words: uprising (a rebellion), disguise (to take clothes of somebody else to hide your identity), blizzard (a big snowstorm).
What measures do you think the 14th Dalai Lama took to ensure the safety of his small travelling group and their possessions during their journey?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.