The day the Cultural Revolution started – level 1
Mao Zedong is the leader of China after World War II. Mao wants to change the country. He thinks that China will be as good as the US or Britain.
Mao starts to change everything. Farmers stop farming. They must make steel. The steel is not good. People have nothing to eat. Millions of people die.
The Cultural Revolution starts on May 16, 1966. Mao wants to change people’s thinking. Millions of young people must leave cities. Schools and universities close.
The government destroys many old buildings. Libraries do not lend books. Mao burns the books. Mao wants to destroy everything traditional. Traditional things are dangerous for him.
The Cultural Revolution destroys the country. It is not easy to fix everything again.
What impact do you think Mao's Cultural Revolution had on modern China?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.