The day the Cuban Missile Crisis started – level 3
In 1962, humanity is on the brink of nuclear war for 13 days. It is the most dramatic clash of the Soviets and Americans during the Cold War.
It’s October 16 and the US president, John Kennedy, stares in disbelief at spy photos taken by an American plane 20km over Cuba. He sees a massive launch force under construction. He sees dozens of nuclear missiles.
The United States announces a naval blockade of Cuba. Its aim is to prevent more Soviet ships from arriving.
On October 25, representatives of the Soviet Union and the US meet for the first time at the United Nations. The Soviets are still not saying openly what is going on.
On October 27, President Kennedy announces a 48-hour ultimatum. He says, “Remove the rockets, or we’ll remove them.”
The Soviets propose that the missiles will be withdrawn in exchange for a promise not to attack Cuba and for the withdrawal of American missiles from Turkey and Italy.
The Americans agree.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.