The day the Cuban Missile Crisis started – level 2
It is 1962 in Cuba. People are close to nuclear war for 13 days. It is the most dramatic conflict of Soviets and Americans during the Cold War.
It’s October 16 and the US president, John Kennedy, looks at photos from an American plane which flew over Cuba. He doesn’t believe what he sees. He sees many nuclear rockets.
The United States start to block the sea around Cuba. They want to prevent more Soviet ships from arriving.
On October 25, representatives of the Soviet Union and the US meet for the first time at the United Nations. The Soviets are still not saying openly what is going on.
On October 27, President Kennedy gives a 48-hour ultimatum. He says, “Remove the rockets, or we will remove them.”
The Soviets agree to remove the rockets if the Americans don’t attack Cuba and if they remove rockets from Turkey and Italy.
The Americans agree.
What effects did the Cuban Missile Crisis have on international relations between the US and the Soviet Union?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.