The day the construction of the Tower of Pisa started – level 2
The construction of the Tower of Pisa began on August 9, 1173.
The Tower of Pisa was built next to a nearby cathedral. The tower was built on soft ground and began to lean during the construction of the third floor.
The tower leaned more and more over the centuries. People wanted to prevent the tower from falling and decided to reduce its lean. The stabilization work was done between 1990 and 2001. Now, the tower doesn’t lean as much.
The Tower of Pisa has eight floors and is made of white marble. It is 56 meters tall.
What are some of the popular theories proposed to explain why the Tower of Pisa started to lean during construction?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.