The day the construction of the Three Gorges Dam began – level 2
The Yangtze River in China is the third longest river in the world. It starts its journey in northern Tibet. It travels more than 6,000 kilometers before it enters the sea. Millions of people depend on this great river.
The decision to build the Three Gorges Dam is made because people need more electricity. The dam can also stop big floods.
The construction isn’t good for some people because they have to leave their homes. More than 150 cities and 13,000 villages have to go under water and almost 2 million people have to leave their homes.
The construction begins on December 14, 1994 and it is divided into phases or parts. Every phase takes some years. The whole construction takes almost 17 years, and 250,000 people work on it.
When the dam is finished in 2012, it’s 185 meters high and 2,300 meters long. It’s the largest dam in the world.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.