The day the construction of the Three Gorges Dam began – level 1
The Yangtze River is in China. It starts in Tibet. It is a very long river. It is 6,000 kilometers long. Millions of people live near this river.
People in China want to build a dam on this river. The dam can make electricity. People need electricity in China. The dam can also stop big floods.
The dam isn’t good for some people because they have to leave their homes. 150 cities and 13,000 villages have to go under water.
The construction begins on December 14, 1994. The construction is 17 years long. 250,000 people work on the construction.
The dam is finished in 2012. It is 185 meters high. It is 2,300 meters long. It’s the biggest dam in the world.
Difficult words: dam (a special wall across a river), flood (water from a river which goes into houses and businesses), leave (to go away from a place), construction (the process of building something).
What are the long-term economic and environmental impacts of the Yangtze River Dam?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.