The day the Cold War ended – level 2
The Cold War was a period when the United States and the Soviet Union were enemies. The Cold War started in 1947. It was called the Cold War because there was never a direct military conflict between the two superpowers.
The conflict was mainly ideological. The United States promoted capitalism and democracy. The Soviet Union promoted communism and a centrally planned economy.
Both superpowers wanted to have global influence and they divided the world into two parts. Some countries supported the United States. Other countries supported the Soviet Union.
The Cold War ended on December 26, 1991. This was the day when the Soviet Union ended and changed into many independent countries.
What were the major ideological differences between the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.