The day the car was faster than the speed of sound – level 1
Some people like speed. At the end of the 19th century, people start to make cars. Now people can enjoy speed. People want to go faster and faster.
The first record is from 1898. One driver goes 63 km/h. Then new records are coming very fast. In 1929, one driver goes 372 km/h.
In 1965, one man from the USA goes 966 km/h. At that moment, people are waiting for only one thing. They are waiting for the moment when somebody goes faster than the speed of sound.
On October 15, 1997, Andy Green sits in a special car. The car is 10 tons big and has two big engines.
He starts his car. The speed goes up to 1000 km/h. Then, the speed goes higher. Everybody is waiting for the boom. Then the boom comes.
Now it is clear that the car goes faster than the speed. Everybody is happy. The maximum speed is 1228 km/h.
Difficult words: century (100 years), enjoy (to get to do something successfully), ton (1,000 kilograms or about 2204 pounds), boom (a very loud and strong sound).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.