The day the bombing of London started – level 3
In August 1940, Germany controlled much of Western Europe. One country that was able to resist the attacks was Great Britain. Germany wanted to demoralize the British by bombing their capital.
The bombing started on September 7, 1940. London suffered severe damage and heavy casualties, but Londoners never gave up. They evacuated children to the countryside. Those who stayed in London took shelter in underground stations.
The bombing lasted 57 days. 20,000 people died.
The bombing failed to demoralize the British into surrender or do much damage to the war economy. On the contrary, the British became stronger and eventually won the Second World War.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.