The day the bombing of London started – level 2
In August 1940, Germany controlled much of Western Europe. One country which was able to defend its territory was Great Britain. Germany wanted to demoralize the British by bombing their capital.
The bombing started on September 7, 1940. Many houses in London were destroyed, but Londoners never gave up. They evacuated children from London. Those who stayed in London hid in underground stations.
The bombing was 57 days long. 20,000 people died.
The bombing didn’t demoralize the British. The opposite was true. The British became stronger, and in the end, won the Second World War.
Difficult words: demoralize (to make a person lose confidence), capital (a city where the government is), give up (to stop fighting because you are losing).
What did Londoners do to keep morale up during the Blitz?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.