The day the biggest naval battle ended – level 2
It is the biggest naval battle of World War II. 370 ships, 1,500 planes, and 200,000 sailors were in this battle. It is a battle of the Philippine island of Leyte.
In December 1941, Japan attacks Pearl Harbor and occupies the North Pacific. The United States enters the war and has to fight with the Japanese for every strategic island.
In October 1944, Americans want to get control over the Philippines. Leyte is the place where the attack starts. 170,000 American soldiers got here. The Japanese don’t want to lose the Philippines. They are ready to fight for them. They send many ships into this area. Two of their ships are the biggest ships in history of war.
It’s October 23, 1944 and the fight is starting. The Japanese ships are coming close to Leyte. When the Americans see the ships, they start to attack them.
On October 25, the Americans thinks that they won. But the next day the Japanese are ready to fight again. The Japanese attack the Americans who don’t expect the attack. They must do something quickly.
They use all their planes and some ships for the counterattack. They don’t have a big chance to win, so they are very surprised when they see that the Japanese turn their ships around and go away. The Pacific Ocean is now under American control.
What was the outcome of the Battle of Leyte Gulf on October 25th 1944?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.