The day the Battle of Midway began – level 2
On December 7, 1941, Japan attacked Pearl Harbor which was a big shock for the US. Japan was very strong and the country wanted to get control over all of the Pacific Ocean.
Japan had 250 planes and four large warships which were ready to attack the enemy. Japan planned to attack the Midway Atoll, a small island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Then the US broke a secret Japanese code and knew about the plan. They knew what would happen and where. If Japan won the battle of Midway, the country would get total control over the Pacific.
On June 3, 1942, Japan occupied two Aleutian Islands, and on June 4, the Battle of Midway began.
Difficult words: shock (when something happens suddenly and it is a big surprise), enemy (a country or person who fights with somebody else), code (words, letters, or pictures which are a part of a secret message).
How did the US break the Japanese secret code, and what made them successful in the Battle of Midway?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.