The day the battle of Iwo Jima started – level 1
It is the beginning of 1945. It is clear that the Japanese army can’t win the war. Slowly, the Americans control more and more islands in the Pacific Ocean.
In February, the Americans want to attack a small Japanese island. Its name is Iwo Jima. The island is only 1,200 kilometers from Tokyo. There is an important airport on the island. The Americans want to control that airport.
The Japanese have 21,000 soldiers on the island. The Japanese are ready to fight to the last man. The Japanese use special tactics to defend the island. They fight from holes under the ground. The holes are connected by tunnels.
On February 19, the Americans start the attack. Soldiers on both sides fight for every meter of the land. The battle takes 5 weeks. The Americans win. 20,000 Japanese and 6,800 Americans die.
Difficult words: army (many soldiers), to fight to the last man (to fight and everyone dies), tactic (a way to do something), defend (to protect), tunnel (a long horizontal hole), battle (a big fight).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.