The day the American Civil War ended – level 1
In 1861, the situation in the United States isn’t easy. There are two different groups of states. The states in the north are industrial. The states in the south are agricultural.
The biggest problem is slavery. The North wants to stop slavery. The South wants to keep slaves.
The states in the south want to separate from the states in the north. The civil war between the North and the South starts.
The war is 4 years long. On April 9, 1865, the North and the South meet in the final battle. The North wins. The civil war ends.
In December 1865, slavery is stopped in the United States.
How did the end of the American Civil War influence the rights of African Americans in the United States?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.