The day Stanislav Petrov saved the world from the apocalypse – level 2
Stanislav Petrov saved the world in 1983.
On September 26, 1983, Stanislav Petrov was looking at the Soviet satellite system. At one moment, the satellite system showed five rockets which were coming from the United States. The system made a mistake and the information wasn’t correct but nobody knew it at that time.
It was a difficult situation. Petrov had to decide what to do. He thought that it was a false alarm. He thought that if the US wanted to attack the Soviet Union, it would probably send more than just five rockets.
He didn’t tell his boss that the rockets were coming. He told his boss that it was a mistake in the system.
If he reported that the rockets were coming, a war between the US and the Soviet Union could start. His good thinking saved the world from a big war.
What do you think was the key factor in Petrov's decision that day which allowed him to save the world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.