The day Princess Diana died – level 3
Diana, Princess of Wales, was a member of the British royal family. She was the first wife of Prince Charles. Diana and Charles’s marriage wasn’t happy. They got divorced in 1996.
After the divorce, Diana continued her charity work. She lived more freely, and she met Dodi Fayed, the son of an Egyptian billionaire. The media continued to chase her wherever she went, but she seemed happy.
Diana and Dodi decided to spend the last days of August 1997 in Paris. Shortly after midnight on August 31, they left the Hotel Ritz. They were followed by a group of photographers.
Diana and Dodi instructed the driver to shake them off. The car was racing through the center of Paris at a speed of 105 kilometers per hour until it hit a concrete pillar of one of the tunnels. Dodi and the driver were dead on the spot. Diana was fighting for her life, but she died shortly afterward in hospital.
Difficult words: chase (to follow somebody and try to catch them), shake off (to lose somebody who is chasing you), race (to move very quickly), concrete (a hard substance used in building).
What role did the media play in Diana and Dodi's decision to flee from Paris?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.