The day people started to make the deepest hole – level 2
The deepest hole ever drilled is called the Kola Superdeep Borehole. It was drilled by the Soviet Union in the Kola Peninsula near the Russian border with Norway.
The project began on 24 May 1970. The goal of the drilling was to go as deep as possible to get information about the Earth’s structure.
The hole is 23 centimeters wide, and to drill the hole was a slow and difficult process. It took 19 years to reach the final depth of 12,262 meters in 1989. Drilling was then stopped because the temperature became too high.
What information was discovered by drilling the Kola Superdeep Borehole?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.