The day people reached the deepest place on Earth – level 3
At the beginning of 1960, above the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean, two men were preparing for a descent to the deepest place on planet Earth. They planned to descend to a depth of almost 11 kilometres in a small submarine, without media and public attention.
It was something that nobody had tried before. Nobody knew what was waiting at the bottom of the ocean and what the place really looked like.
On January 23, 1960, the sea over the Mariana Trench was rough. However, Don Walsh and Jacques Picard got on board their submarine that was just slightly bigger than a fridge. They started to go down.
At 150 metres, it began to get dark. Fewer fish were visible but they looked bigger. At 1,600 metres, unknown scary fish came into sight.
Five hours later, the submarine reached the sandy bottom of the Mariana Trench. Through the window, both men could see a 30-centimetre-long fish. It was clear proof that even in the deepest place on the planet, there was life.
Difficult words: Mariana Trench (the deepest place in the ocean), descent (the process of going down), rough (with strong winds and big waves), visible (when something is visible, people can see it).
What was the largest size of fish that Don Walsh and Jacques Picard observed during their descent?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.