The day people reached the deepest place on Earth – level 1
It is the beginning of 1960. Two men are preparing for a big journey. It is a journey to the deepest place on planet Earth. They are above the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean. They want to go down 11 kilometres in a small submarine.
Nobody knows what is at the bottom of the ocean.
On January 23, 1960, the sea over the Mariana Trench isn’t calm. But it is not a problem for Don Walsh and Jacques Picard. They go inside their submarine. The submarine is only a little bigger than a fridge. They go down.
At 150 metres, it starts to be dark. They see some big fish. At 1,600 metres, they see a fish which they don’t recognize.
Five hours later, the submarine comes to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. There is sand there. At one moment, the men see a 30-centimetre long fish. It is clear that life is also in the deepest place on Earth.
Difficult words: Mariana Trench (the deepest place in the ocean), submarine (a ship which can go under water), dark (if it is dark, there is little or no light), recognize (to know what something is).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.