The day Pablo Escobar was killed – level 2
Pablo Escobar was born in Colombia. His criminal career started early when he was a teenager. He was stealing cars, selling illegal cigarettes, and illegal lottery tickets.
Later, Escobar began to organize kidnappings of local politicians and their family members.
Finally, he started to sell drugs. In the beginning, he and his brother were sending cocaine to the USA. People wanted cocaine very much, and Escobar’s business grew fast.
After some time, Escobar had his planes, helicopters, and two small submarines. He used them all for sending cocaine to the USA. At one point, Escobar’s cartel made 70 million US dollars a day.
For his business, Escobar paid many policemen, judges, and politicians. Those who tried to stop him were simply killed. Escobar’s power was great and growing.
Some people from the Colombian government and police were trying to catch him. They offered people money for information about his location. Escobar had to hide and change his location.
On December 2, 1993, the police found his location. There was a gunfight during which Pablo Escobar was killed. He was 44 years old.
Difficult words: career (a job which people do for a long time), kidnapping (a situation when somebody puts a person in prison illegally and wants money for their freedom), cartel (an organization that does crimes), gunfight (a fight in which people use guns).
What other tactics was Escobar known for in order to protect his criminal empire?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.