The day of the tsunami in the Indian Ocean – level 2
It was Sunday morning, on December 26, 2004. The beaches in Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, and other places began to fill with people. Thousands of people spent their dream holiday there.
On the west coast of Sumatra, there was a big earthquake 30 kilometers below the earth’s surface. The seafloor of the Indian Ocean was pushed up, and millions of tons of water started to move.
The water was travelling at a speed of 800 kilometers per hour. In some places the tsunami was 30 meters high. The tsunami came to the beaches quickly and unexpectedly. Many people had no time to run away to a higher ground. In some places the tsunami went 2 kilometers inland.
The tsunami destroyed many areas near the sea. It took 220,000 lives in 14 countries and it left 1.5 million people homeless.
Difficult words: fill (to make something more and more full), sea floor (the ground at the bottom of the ocean), tsunami (the Japanese word for a very big wave), unexpectedly (without expectation), inland (a place not near the sea).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.