The day of the tsunami in the Indian Ocean – level 1
It is Sunday morning. It is December 26, 2004. People start to come to the beaches in Indonesia, Thailand, and Sri Lanka. They spend their dream holiday there.
At one moment, there is a big earthquake in the Indian Ocean. The earthquake pushes up the sea floor of the Indian Ocean. Millions of tons of water start to move.
The water is travelling 800 kilometers per hour. There is a big tsunami there. In some places the tsunami is 30 meters high. The tsunami comes to the beaches fast. Many people don’t have time to run away.
The tsunami destroys many areas near the sea. 220,000 people die. 1.5 million people are homeless.
Difficult words: earthquake (a moment when the earth moves), sea floor (the ground at the bottom of the ocean), ton (1,000 kilograms), tsunami (a big wave after an earthquake), destroy (to break something very much).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.