The day of the tragedy in Armero – level 3
Nevado del Ruiz is a volcano in Columbia.
On November 13, 1985, at 9:09 p.m., the volcano erupts. It sends a lot of ash into the atmosphere. The eruption also produces a lot of lava which starts to melt down snow on the top of the volcano. Water from the snow starts to mix with earth and small stones. All of these materials make thick lahars that start to go down the river valleys on the volcano’s sides.
The lahars go down at a speed of 50 kilometers per hour, destroying everything in their way. One of the lahars is going to the town of Armero.
It’s a quiet night and people of Armero are unaware of the coming danger. Many of them are in their houses.
At 11:30 p.m., the first lahar hits. It is followed by the others. They are traveling at about six meters per second. They are up to 30 meters deep. The lahars virtually erase Armero. Three-quarters of its 28,700 inhabitants are killed.
Difficult words: melt down (to change from solid to liquid), lahar (a flow of mud that goes down from a volcano), virtually (practically, completely), erase (to take away from somewhere), quarter (one of four equal parts).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.