The day of the Tibetan uprising – level 1
It is 1951. Tibet is part of China. It has its own government. The government is in Lhasa. Lhasa is the capital of Tibet. The Dalai Lama is the leader of Tibet.
In next years, step by step, the Chinese start to take land from the Tibetans. The Tibetans don’t like this Chinese activity. They start a rebellion in 1956. Small fights continue for years.
On March 10, 1959, a big rebellion against China starts in Lhasa. The Chinese army uses big guns. China wins. 85,000 Tibetans die in the fights.
The Dalai Lama can’t stay in Tibet. He must leave. The Dalai Lama goes to India. He starts a government in exile there. He starts to help Tibet from abroad.
Difficult words: own (when you have something), government (the leaders of a country), capital (a city where the government is), rebellion (a fight against the leaders), exile (a situation when you must live in another country for political reasons), abroad (in a foreign country).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.