The day of the Tenerife airport disaster – level 2
It is March 27, 1977. A big plane is ready to take off from the Spanish island of Tenerife. There are 248 people on board.
There is also another big plane slowly moving on the runway. There is thick fog on the runway. Visibility is very low, and the pilots of both planes don’t see each other.
The pilots communicate with the control tower over the radio. Unfortunately, there is a misunderstanding in the communication. The second plane is still on the runway hidden in fog when the pilot of the first plane starts to take off.
He already goes very fast on the runway when he sees the second plane. He tries to lift his plane into the air, but it is too late. The planes are already very close to each other and a big collision happens.
The collision and fire kill everyone on board the first plane. Only 61 people survive from the second plane. Altogether 583 people die. It is the worst plane accident in history.
Difficult words: thick (difficult to see through), visibility (the distance which is possible to see), control tower (a building at an airport which controls planes), misunderstanding (not correct understanding), lift (to move up into the air), altogether (when you speak about the total number).
What safety measures were put in place after the Tenerife disaster to prevent future accidents?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.