The day of the Tenerife airport disaster – level 1
It is March 27, 1977. A big plane is on a runway in Tenerife. Tenerife is a Spanish island. The plane is ready to start. There are 248 people on board the plane.
There is also another big plane on the runway. There is fog on the runway. The fog is big. The pilots from the first plane don’t see the second plane.
The pilots communicate with the control tower over the radio. Unfortunately, there is a problem with communication. When the first plane starts to go, the second plane is still on the runway.
When the pilot of the first plane sees the second plane, he tries to lift his plane into the air. It is too late. The planes are already very close. A big collision comes.
The collision and fire which comes after the collision kill all the people from the first plane. Only 61 people survive from the second plane. 583 people die in the accident. It is the worst plane accident in history.
Difficult words: fog (clouds near the ground), control tower (a building at an airport which controls planes), unfortunately (when something bad happens), lift (to move up into the air), collision (an accident when two planes hit each other), survive (to continue to live).
What safety precautions could be put in place to help prevent future air disasters of this scale?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.