The day of the oil disaster in Alaska – level 2
The Gulf of Alaska was a place with beautiful nature. It was home to seals, killer whales, and many fish.
Big tankers were also going through the Gulf. They were transporting oil from Alaska to Los Angeles, California. On March 24, 1989, one of these tankers hit the bottom of the sea. The tanker with a lot of oil on board started to leak.
The area of 21 thousand square kilometers was affected. The oil covered the bodies of many animals which lived in the Gulf.
Ecologists came to the disaster area and tried to help the animals. They built special stations on the beaches of the Gulf and tried to clean the wild animals from oil. Unfortunately, they were able to help only a minimum of them.
TV stations all around the world showed pictures of dying animals. The pictures were horrible. The oil killed 250,000 birds, 300 seals, 20 killer whales, and millions of fish.
Difficult words: gulf (a part of sea with the land on three sides), tanker (a big ship which carries a lot of oil), oil (a dark liquid for making petrol ), leak (when oil goes from a ship through a hole), cover (to be over something), unfortunately (when something bad happens).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.