The day of the oil disaster in Alaska – level 1
In 1989, The Gulf of Alaska is a place with beautiful nature. It is home of many animals and fish.
Big ships are also going through the Gulf. They are transporting oil from Alaska to Los Angeles. On March 24, 1989, one big ship hits the bottom of the sea. There is a hole in the ship. A lot of oil starts to go from the ship.
It is horrible for animals in the Gulf. The oil is on their bodies. The oil is killing them.
Ecologists come to the Gulf. They want to help the animals. They build special stations on the beaches of the Gulf. They try to clean the animals from oil. Unfortunately, they can help only a minimum of them.
TV stations all around the world show pictures of animals which are dying. The pictures are horrible. The oil kills many birds, big sea animals, and fish.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.