The day of the Hindenburg disaster – level 3
The Hindenburg was a German airship built in 1936 to transport people between Europe and America. With a length of almost 250 meters, it was the largest flying machine that humans had ever built. Up to 50 passengers could travel in comfort.
The first flight of the Hindenburg was across the Atlantic to Brazil and she successfully returned.
In 1936, she flew to America 17 times in total. Everything was without problems.
On May 3, 1937, the Hindenburg went on her first spring journey from Germany to the United States. There were 97 people on board. Apart from the strong wind, which caused a 12-hour delay, nothing special happened.
On May 6, 1937, the airship began her landing. At one point, flames appeared out of nowhere and the airship crashed. Although the whole catastrophe took place in just 40 seconds, 62 people managed to survive.
This disaster led directly to the end of the era of the giant airships.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.