The day of the first Whitechapel murder – level 1
In 1888, Whitechapel is a part of London. It is a very bad place. It is full of unemployed workers, drunk men, thieves, and prostitutes. The situation is so bad that half of the children die before they are five years old.
At Whitechapel, more than 1,200 prostitutes wait for their customers every day. On April 3, 1888, one of them is attacked. She dies in hospital a day later.
More attacks on women come. Some of them are very similar. The women are always poor prostitutes. Their bodies are open with a knife. People start to believe that one person is the killer of these women.
One day, a newspaper gets a letter. The letter says that Jack the Ripper is the killer.
Altogether, eleven women die. The police never catch the killer.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.