The day of the first US presidential election – level 1
It is December 15, 1788. It is time when the election starts in the US. People choose their first president. The election ends on January 10, 1789.
The election is long because the communication between states is very slow. There is no telephone in 1788. There is no telegraph in 1788.
George Washington is very popular. He is man who wins a war against England. There is no other candidate who can win.
In 1788, there are only 10 states in the US. 69 people from these states can choose the president. All 69 people choose George Washington. He is the first president of the United States.
Difficult words: election (when people choose somebody for a job), choose (to take one from more possibilities), communication (the situation when people talk or write to other people), telegraph (a way to talk when you send information through a wire), other (next), candidate (somebody who people can choose for a job).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.