The day of the first published photograph of a black hole – level 2
The first black hole ever photographed is located at the center of the Messier 87 galaxy. It is about 55 million light-years away from Earth.
To produce the photograph, data from eight different telescopes were analyzed. These included telescopes in Hawaii, Chile, Spain, Mexico, and Antarctica.
The photograph was taken in April 2017, but it took two years for the team of scientists to analyze the data from the telescopes.
The first photograph of a black hole was published on April 10, 2019.
The black hole is 6.5 billion times more massive than the Sun. It is 40 billion kilometers wide.
The photograph confirmed Albert Einstein’s theory, which predicted the existence of black holes more than a century ago.
What other astronomical phenomena has Einstein's theory helped predict?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.