The day of the first episode of The Simpsons – level 2
The Simpsons is a very popular animated sitcom. It is also the name of the family in the show. Their life started in 1985 when Matt Groening created the first pictures of the family. He had only fifteen minutes to make them, and he didn’t go far for inspiration.
He named the people in the sitcom Homer after his father, Marge after his mother, and Lisa and Maggie after his sisters. Bart was created by changing letters in the word “brat”, which means “a bad child.”
The pictures of The Simpsons who had four fingers and yellow skin were used in a TV show for about four years.
Then on December 17, 1989, people watched the first 20-minute episode. The success was very big. Millions of people started to watch The Simpsons. The sitcom became popular in other countries, too.
The Simpsons make fun of everything. The producers have a special contract. Thanks to this contract, they can speak about everything without limits.
Difficult words: sitcom (a situation comedy on TV), he didn’t go far for inspiration (he based the characters on real people), make fun of (to make a joke of), producer (a person who helps to make a movie or a TV show but who is not a director).
What other iconic characters besides The Simpsons has Matt Groening created?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.