The day of the first 100 meters dive – level 3
Frenchman Jacques Mayol was born in 1927 in Shanghai. He loved the sea and was fascinated by dolphins. He spent a lot of time with them and learned from them how to live under water. He learned how to control his body very well, and he could spend up to 4 minutes under water without breathing.
In the 60s, he met Enzo Maiorca from Italy, who was the first person to dive 50 meters deep without an oxygen device. They became friends, but also great rivals, who constantly competed with each other for who would dive deeper. This rivalry lasted ten years. They dived deeper and deeper, but the 100-meter limit hadn’t been broken yet.
Then November 23, 1976 came. Jacques Mayol, who was 49 years old at that time, tried to dive to a magical depth of 100 meters. He was successful and became the first person in history to go so deep without using any oxygen device but just his breath.
What were the physical and mental techniques used by Jacques Mayol for his legendary 100 meter dive?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.