The day of the first 100 meters dive – level 1
Frenchman Jacques Mayol is born in 1927 in Shanghai, China. He loves the sea. He loves dolphins. He spends a lot of time with them.
He learns from them how to live under water. He learns how to control his body. He can be 4 minutes under water without breathing.
In the 60s, he meets Enzo Maiorca from Italy. Maiorca is the first person who dives 50 meters deep. Mayol and Maiorca start to be friends.
But they are also big rivals. They want to be better than the other. They want to go deeper and deeper in the water.
It is November 23, 1976. Jacques Mayol wants to try to go 100 meters deep. It is very difficult. Nobody does it before him. He is 49 years old.
He goes under water. He goes down to a magical depth of 100 meters. It is a big success.
Difficult words: breathing (an activity when you take air in your body), dive (to swim down under water), rival (a person who is against you), magical (amazing, hard to believe), depth (the distance from the top to the bottom).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.