The day of the bombing of Dresden – level 3
It was the beginning of February 1945, and World War II was coming to an end. The Russians advanced from the east, and they were only about 100 kilometers from Berlin. The Russians asked the Americans and the British a favour. It would help Russian troops if the American and the British bombed large key German cities.
Dresden was a beautiful city, a pearl of Baroque architecture. In February 1945, there were up to a million people living there. Until then, Dresden was the only large German city on which a single bomb had never fallen.
February 13, 1945, changed everything. The first of four air attacks came. 1,249 planes were used in these attacks which lasted three days. The goal was to destroy the city center, the railway station, and factories.
The bombs set the entire city center on fire. Not even the shelters provided safety because the fire sucked out all the oxygen from them. The fire was so big that it took three days for the city to be extinguished. The air attacks destroyed the city and killed 25,000 people.
Difficult words: ask somebody a favour (to ask for help), troops (big groups of soldiers), key (important), pearl (a beautiful example), set on fire (to make something start burning), extinguish (to make a fire stop burning).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.