The day of the bombing of Dresden – level 1
It is the beginning of February 1945. World War II is coming to an end. The Russians are coming from the east. They are only 100 kilometers from Berlin.
The Russians ask the American and the British soldiers for help. They ask them to bomb big German cites. The American and the British agree.
Dresden is a German city with many beautiful buildings. In February 1945, there are a million people in Dresden. No bombs hit Dresden before.
On February 13, 1945, everything changes. The air attacks start. 1,249 planes attack Dresden. They want to destroy the city center, the railway station, and factories.
After the bombs fall, the whole city is on fire. People can’t hide in their shelters. This is because the fire takes all the oxygen from them. The fire is so big that it takes three days to stop it. The attacks destroy the city and kill 25,000 people.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.