The day of the biggest protest against the Vietnam War – level 2
1969 wasn’t a good year for the USA. Coffins with soldiers’ bodies were coming back from Vietnam where Americans were fighting. The Vietnam War affected more and more Americans.
People had enough. They didn’t like the war. People started to demonstrate to end the war.
On November 15, 1969, more than half a million people met in Washington D.C., USA. People went through the streets and they wanted one thing: to end the war.
There were demonstrations in other American cities, too. A total of 2 million people demonstrated on that day.
The protests were strong. But it took three more years for the US army to leave Vietnam.
Difficult words: coffin (a long box for a dead body), affect (to change somebody’s situation), demonstrate (to protest against something), total (the final number).
What do you think were the consequences of the Vietnam War for the USA?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.