The day of the Battle of Normandy – level 3
In May 1943, the United States decided to undertake an invasion of France and free it from German rule. They decided to land at the coast of Normandy in northwest France. The coast was well protected by the Germans. It was a difficult operation that needed to be well prepared. The British and the Canadians also took part in this operation.
The operation had several phases. First, divers were sent to discover where underwater bombs were. Then, on June 6, 1944, 25,000 parachutists landed on the French coast, and almost 7,000 ships sailed from English ports, the largest fleet in human history.
The landing itself was a massacre. The Germans had a lot of machine guns on the coast, and they immediately began firing on the attacking American soldiers. Some died in the water and didn’t even reach the beach.
The first wave of landings had huge losses of over 50%. In a few hours, 2,500 Americans died. Then so many American soldiers landed on the beach that the Germans could no longer resist.
The Americans, along with the English, slowly began to advance inland and liberated France step by step.
On August 25, 1944, Paris was liberated.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.