The day of the Battle of Normandy – level 2
In May 1943, the United States decided to go to France and free it from the Germans. They decided to land at the coast of Normandy in northern France together with the British and the Canadians. It was a difficult operation that needed to be well prepared. The coast was well protected by the Germans.
On June 6, 1944, 7,000 ships sailed from English ports to France. The landing in France was a horrible massacre. The Germans had a lot of machine guns on the coast. They were shooting at American soldiers. Some died when they were still in the water.
The first wave of American soldiers lost a lot of men. In a few hours, 2,500 Americans died. Then so many American soldiers landed on the beach that the Germans could no longer stop them.
The Americans, and also the English, slowly began to go inside the land, and they liberated France step by step.
On August 25, 1944, Paris was liberated.
What strategies did the Allies use to outmaneuver the Germans in the liberation of France?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.