The day of Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans – level 2
On August 25, 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit Florida. 2 million people were without electricity and fourteen people died.
The next day, the hurricane moved towards New Orleans. People in the city were asked to evacuate. Not all people were able to do it. Many of them stayed in the city.
On August 29, Katrina hit New Orleans. Most of the city was below the level of the nearby lake. Anti-flood barriers were old and weak. Katrina was too strong for them.
The rain from Katrina raised the level of water in the lake, and the anti-flood barriers broke. Water began to go into the city. It quickly flooded most of the city. In some places, the water was 6 meters high.
Some people started to steal from shops. The army had to come to calm down the situation.
Katrina took 1,800 lives.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.