The day of Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans – level 1
It is August 29, 2005. Hurricane Katrina comes to New Orleans. New Orleans is near a lake. The city is below the level of the lake.
Anti-flood barriers protect the city. The barriers are old and weak. Katrina is very strong.
The rain from Katrina brings a lot of water to the lake. The anti-flood barriers open. Water starts to go into the city. Many places are underwater. The water is 6 meters high.
Some people start to steal from shops. The army must come. The army helps people in New Orleans.
1,800 people die in Hurricane Katrina.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.